It’s seems to come earlier and earlier every year. Stores used to wait until Halloween was over until they put out Christmas decorations, but now it isn’t uncommon to see Halloween, Thanksgiving, AND Christmas decorations in stores at the same time! Whether you celebrate any or all of these holidays, your little ones will notice the displays in any store that you go to.
Playing with sounds is one of my favorite ways to help little ones learn to talk! Christmas is a GREAT time for sounds…and music, lots of music! Let’s explore some of the simple sounds that may be fun to practice with little ones:
- “Fa la la la la la la la la” – Sing Deck the Halls; “yayayaya” and “dadadada” would also be perfectly acceptable.
- “Wow” – When your kids inevitably notice the huge inflatable decorations in stores and your neighbors’ yards!
- “Brrr” – Depending on your location, Christmastime is likely cold and possibly snowy
- “Ooo aah” – Your little one will be mesmerized by all of the lights…flashing, musical, twinkling, etc.
- “Ho Ho Ho” – Santa’s belly laugh!
- Tongue Clicks – for reindeer hooves
- “Mmm” – all the Christmas sweets and goodies!
- “Tada!” and “Hooray!” – opening up gifts or finding your Elf each morning
- “Hey!” – Jingle Bells is not the easiest song for little ones, but at the end of the song is a very enthusiastic… oh what fun it is to ride in a one horse open sleigh – “HEY!”
- “Rum pum pum pum” – when your little drummer boy is banging on your pots and pans throughout the house!
- “Choo choo” – This is the most amazing season for model trains to be set up all over your town. You can also take a ride on a real train or set one up around your tree.
- “Ding ding” or maybe “jingle jingle” depending on the type of bell – Bells will fill the air and all of the holiday music in your car!
If you’re little one isn’t yet talking and you are asking, where are the words?, remember that sound play and imitation are necessary skills to learn before your little one will start saying many true words. If you are looking for more Christmas play and toy ideas check out Santa Claus is coming to town!
Need a toy list especially for little ones who are learning to talk? Best toys and gifts: a speech therapist’s list!
If you love Pinterest, remember to save this for later…
Thank you for sharing! Merry Christmas!
For a FREE, printable handout of this post go to: FREE Handouts you can print out
For all of my play ideas for early communication, be sure to like and follow me on Facebook!