Here’s a basic toy that most children have seen and most adults played with as children. We all know you are supposed to make a tower (stack) and then place the cups back inside (nest) to clean up. When playing this way, try some of these words/phrases…
What if your child doesn’t want to stack or isn’t interested in stacking? Here are some other ideas.
1. Make animal noises or other loud sounds into the cups like a microphone. The amplified sound is fun to listen to.
2. Take them to the bath and pour water onto body parts or other toys. Name what is getting washed/splashed.
3. Fill the cups with smaller toys (shapes, puzzles pieces, balls) and shake them to make lots of noise. “shake shake” and “GO…STOP!”
4. Put a cup on your head like a hat then say a two-part word to make it fall off. “Up” (cup on head) and “down” (lean forward for it to fall off). “Achoo” and “uh-oh” also work well.
5. Get out some spoons, turn the cups over, and play the drums: “bang, bang, tap, tap”
Disclosure: I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Other play ideas that you may be interested in…